Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tempo, Tempo


I stood to play my solo and Mr. Hill stopped the band. He said, “Michael, can you please play the tempo we are playing instead of the one you sleep with?” I was actually playing the solo at about a half a beat slower than the band was playing the song. This little anecdote is to illustrate that I was late then, I’m late now.

So again, I haven’t been focused on keeping my blog up to date. And again, I promise to do better. The last time I had something good to write about was almost exactly a month ago and I didn’t do it. However, blog fans, I have written a couple of new critiques and I will add them soon.

Last month, the South Dallas Cultural Center restarted the 3rd Friday night monthly jam sessions. Jammin at the Center is mainstay at the cultural center and most times a lot of fun. Now, the Jam Sessions are headed by one of my most favorite sax players, Shelly Carrol. Anytime I get to hear him play, I go. And to hear him with a two drink minimum would be a treat for you too. The jam sessions start at midnight and go until three in the morning every 3rd Friday nite. And anybody wants to play gets to play. Just bring your books and your ideas and work it out with the best jazz musicians in the city.


February began the new jam sessions for the year. Shelley was on point per usual. The kickoff for the year was to pay tribute to one of Texas’ most favorite sons, Texas Tenor David “Fathead” Newman. The SDCC pulled a coup by having Newman’s son, Dino Newman to sing and play (trap) at the jam session. Dad and Dino. I’ll spare all the details since it is basically ancient history. Enjoy the pics. I’ll be back in a couple of days.


Vicki Meek is the Director of SDCC and founder of Jammin at the Center.

No comments: