Tuesday, October 6, 2009

John Making His Legend Known


I know that my Liner Notes have been dedicated to Jazz recordings. Occasionally, I will recall a live performance. But it’s always about Jazz - until now…

On Sunday evening I heard one of the most remarkable voices attached the neo soul era I’ve ever heard. John Legend blew the doors off the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas on the last stop of his North American tour.

I will give a courtesy nod to the opening acts. Legend’s brother, VAUGHN ANTHONY signed to Legend’s HOME SCHOOL RECORDS and LAURA IZIBOR. It’s not that they were not good. I was just not prepared for what the headliner brought to the stage.

Anthony’s performance was good and his sound is a lot like his brother’s. However, he does lack the vocal control that Legend wields almost effortlessly. I became less interested when he removed his shirt to bellow a song entitled “Yell” in which he advises his would be lover that this would be his goal whilst lovemaking.

Izibor would best be described as the Irish Alicia Keys. I generally find it disingenuous to compare one artist to that of a contemporary. And if you find my reviews useful, it is primarily a disservice to you. But I only do so in this case as Izibor will probably receive little to know press in America even with opportunity to perform with John Legend. She did a bang up job engaging the crowd as I’m sure most of the diverse audience was unfamiliar with her work. However she found a way to weave in Mary J. Blige’s “Real Love” into one of her tunes “From My Heart to Yours” that captured the crowds attention.

After a brief intermission, the lights dimmed and I was disturbed by stirring on my right side. As I turned to investigate the rustling, it was the Legend in the making. One Legend belting out a special tune from The Legend, BOB MARLEY. John opened his show with a stirring rendition of "Redemption Songs".

As John Legend performed hit after hit, I had the feeling that some of my discontent with popular music was beginning to subside just from listening to this one performance. Most of the reason that I enjoy Legend’s music so much is that he has not allowed himself to be pigeon-holed into his hit song formula. He just keeps making good records and takes chances musically that seem to capture the attention of the “music” lover.

Not only did he pay homage to the legacy of Bob Marley, he also found ways to weave in offerings by legends Michael Jackson and Prince. During his performance of "It’s Over" he vamped in Jackson’s "Remember The Time" complete with a photo montage of the King of Pop’s performances. Also, during the performance of “This Time” he added in Prince’s “Adore”. Legend also found was to pay homage to some of the biggest hits of the soul era like, “Rock Creek Park”, “Heaven Must Be Like This” and “Feel Like Making Love”.

Legend ended the show by performing “Green Light” - apropos as the lyrics include the verse, “I’m ready to go right now…” The thunderous applaud coaxed him back to a solo performance of his most well known hit, “Ordinary People” in which he engaged the audience to assist with part of the chorus, “Take it slow, this time we’ll take it slow.”

John Legend’s voice and music are unique and inspirational. I enjoyed this concert as much as any other of the great concerts I’ve seen. And I’ve seen Miles and Prince. And they were both great. Though I don’t suggest that John Legend is there yet, I have little doubt that he is on the right track.

I look forward to being a fan of his work for a long time to come.

Set List:
Redemption Songs
When I Use To Love You
Alright With Me
Satisfaction
It’s Over
Quickly
When It’s Cold Outside
Lifted
Where Did My Baby Go
Do It Again
Magnificent
If I Was In Your Shoes w/Vaughn Anthony
Slow Dance
Save Room
Good Morning
I Can Change For You
One More Try
This Time
Cloud 9
Green Light

Encore:
Ordinary People
Stay With You

1 comment:

Tremaya said...

No "Heaven" or "Another Again"? Those are my two favs. :(