Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I'm in the Mode for JOE


A friend of mine and I always say, true fans of a particular artist don’t buy “Best Of” records. Because a true fan of an artist may not like all the tracks by an artist, but the ones that are not considered the artist’s “best” always make an impact. And “Best Of” records tend to only document the artist’s most popular tunes.

I’ve been rummaging around in my garage for the last couple of days. The weather has been really cool and comfortable and I’m not allowed to smoke cigars in the house. I have an old CD component set in the garage for such times as I’m in there working on my putting stroke or washing the car or whatever else would have me out there. I grabbed several CDs from my rack. Just my heroes, Joe Henderson and Sonny Rollins, and started my garage hang…I began to listen to a record I had come across at a used CD shop for so cheap had to get it. It was THE BLUE NOTE YEARS: THE BEST OF JOE HENDERSON.

If you’ve ever had an in depth conversation with me about Jass and my likes and dislikes, you know that BLUE BOSSA by JOE HENDERSON is one of the three songs that personify Jass for me…and thus, one of my three favorite records! This particular CD starts with this song. Probably the reason I bought it in the first place. It’s the original recording on Blue Note featuring Kenny Dorham, trumpet; McCoy Tyner, piano; Butch Warren, bass; and Pete Laroca, drums. It was recorded June 3, 1963, released originally on his album PAGE ONE.

This “Best of” record I love! I think it documents Henderson’s work in such a manner it highlights all of his abilities. This is one of those times when I won’t spend a whole bunch of words trying to describe this document. I just will suggest you pick it up with a fine Ashton, gin and tonic or your favorite spirit and just listen.

No comments: