Monday, May 10, 2010

The Divine Ms. Lena Mary Calhoun Horne 1917 - 2010


When I was about twelve years old, I sneaked and stayed up to watch TV all night. This is before cable TV was standard in every home and network TV played old movies all night long. A movie titled "CABIN IN THE SKY" came on and I didn’t think I would be interested in at all. I mean, here was this Black man called Rochester with this heavy southern drawl reminding me of a grown ass Buckwheat and Ethel Waters, who at the time didn’t fit my standard of beauty. I vaguely remember why I decided to stay with the movie. I imagine it was because of the music playing in the background. I had just begun to listen to and appreciate Jazz.

And suddenly, she appeared - Georgia Brown aka The divine Ms. Lena Horne. The “Horne” as I knew her by watching her appearance on Sanford and Son. She was much older then so she didn’t capture my attention as a middle-aged woman. But Lena as a young woman…WOW! I could see why Rochester almost messed up his happy home…

Though Lena never really became a major influence in my view of art, culture or jazz, I’ve always recognized her contribution; everything from her appearances at the World Famous Cotton Club in Harlem to her stances against Jim Crow in entertainment.

Ms. Horne’s rendition of STORMY WEATHER will always be my favorite. Also, IT’S NOT EASY BEING GREEN with Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street…

Rest in Peace Ms. Horne. You will always be Royalty to African Americans...

No comments: