Sunday, October 24, 2010

Saturday Nite Wind Down: Scotch & Soul


So. I’ve had a million and one things to do today. Finally, I have a chance to sit down, be still and enjoy my favorite pastime, listening to a funky ass tunes…tonight it’s via the computer. As I peruse the i-net reading the news and some of my favorite blogs, I’m also sitting here contemplating getting my wallet and copping a copy of THE COOL REVOLUTION on CTI Records – a 40th anniversary compilation record. As I pull the track listing, it has occurred to me that most of the singles pulled together for this compilation, I already have. I didn’t realize that so many of the artists I enjoy have recorded on CTI. Artists like Ron Carter, Yusef Lateef, George Benson, Chet Baker, Hank Crawford, Bob James, Hubert Laws, Stanley Turrentine, Freddie Hubbard, and Idris Muhammed among others.


Another of my new favorite things is scotch. Though I don’t drink very often, I’ve come to enjoy the occasional after work drink or the evening wind down taste. Some years ago, I started drinking J & B Scotch Whisky and then became a fan of Johnnie Walker Black Label. Black Label as opposed to Red, Green, Gold, Blue, or Swing…in all honesty, I don’t know if I’ve ever been anywhere where Swing was available. Now that I've tried Macallan, I really like.

Putting these two things together, Scotch and Soul Jazz, just works.

It’s late on Saturday night when I’m writing this, I hope when you read it you’ll consider having a wind down libation. I suggest The Macallan 10 Year Old and the following CTI Records soundtrack:


Saturday Nite Scotch & Soul

Sugar – Stanly Turrentine
Red Clay – Freddie Hubbard featuring my all time favorite Joe Henderson
Westchester Lady – Bob James
I Had a Dream - Hubert Laws
Mr. Magic – Grover Washington Jr.
Piece of Mind – Irdris Muhammed
Nautilus – Bob James
Nubian Lady – Yusef Lateef – Okay…this is not a CTI recording…but it’s one my favorites by Yusef

Since I’m not a big fan of compilation records, I’ll continue to mull over this purchase. But I know I need the proper glasses for The Macallan…maybe these or these.

No comments: