Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Blade on the Beat


The word fellowship invokes a certain spiritual sensibility in me. In fact, I can’t say it, think it or spell it without singing the tune, “What a fellowship, what a joy divine, leaning on the everlasting arm…”. I got the same feeling the first time I heard BRIAN BLADE AND THE FELLOWSHIP BAND.

My introduction to the THE FELLOWSHIP BAND was during an NPR/WGBO broadcast of a set at the Village Vanguard in New York. Somewhere around the first 6 bars of a tune called, “Rubylou’s Lullaby”, I was reintroduced to that slow, spiritual place in my mind that speaks to my ears and reminds me that I’m hearing soul music. This set was a remembrance of the warm feeling that music can bring. Sometimes in jazz, other than on ballads, we forget how pretty saxophones are supposed to sound. You’re reminded in this set.

This set opens with the first four tunes from their third recording SEASON OF CHANGES (Verve), their first for Verve. This is the first recording from the group for eight years. The first two recordings were on the Blue Note Label. It appears as tight as they sound on stage together, they are kindred musical spirits.

I listened to the recorded versions of these songs after I heard the concert, and I loved the songs just as much. I like this band because it is attempting to carve out a place in a new jazz idiom. The music swings and allows itself to find its place not within the context of interpretations of the Golden era but attempts to establish a new place.

Blade has spent the last eight years touring with WAYNE SHORTER and as a studio musician for the likes of BOB DYLAN, JONI MITCHELL, SEAL and PAT METHANY. In listening to these avant-garde arrangements it is apparent that his musical sensibilities have certainly been piqued by a range of performers and performances. Also during this hiatus from the band, he began recording and released a folksy jazz vocal document titled MAMA ROSA. I can’t wait to hear this recording. As a matter of fact, I’m going to be watching this artist quite closely for years to come.

Click the title to hear the concert on NPR

No comments: