Monday, May 11, 2009

McBride is Live


I know of few things that can produce the feeling you get when you hear a solo for the first time that completely captivates you. The artist pulls away from the microphone and you realize all in that moment, that you just heard something incredible that will almost never be reproduced the same, unless someone had the forethought to record it. But even then, if you heard it live, the recording does it no justice. But if you hear the recording first and you feel that way, you know you’ve heard something special.

That’s exactly how I felt when I heard the opening piece of CHRISTIAN MCBRIDE‘S LIVE AT TONIC. The opening piece is titled TECHNICOLOR NIGHTMARE. Its violent from beginning to end. I can’t ever recall listening to a Jazz piece that was so loud and percussive from every instrument on the stage - and then finding out it was just four musicians. But never does it become obnoxious and too loud.

The beginning of the song finds McBride bowing a solo on what I believe to be an upright bass with electric pickups. Though I can’t see him playing, I imagine that he is throwing his entire being into the instrument.

McBride is joined on this date by keyboardist, GEOFFREY KEEZER, reedman RON BLAKE and drummer TERREON GULLEY. The core is just four. Wow! Blake is becoming more a force to be reckoned with. This album is 2 years old, so imagine what I must be thinking of him now. This set also features appearances by CHARLIE HUNTER on Guitar, JASON MORAN, JENNY SCHEINMAN, DJ LOGIC, and SOULLIVE’S ERIC KRASNO AND RAHSAAN PETERSON. This on any night would make for an all star jam session. Thankfully - it was recorded!

You won’t meet anybody who purports to know enough about jazz to write about it to say they don’t like MILES DAVIS’ foray into Rock and Fusion. However you may find one or two so called purists who would dare suggest that Davis’ fusion period may have been lacking. I’m not one of those writers. I loved BITCHES BREW and I love McBride’s take on it. Keezer’s integrity to the melody gave Blake plenty of room to play.

This 3 disc set was released in 2006, and it was buried amongst many of the recordings I had acquired in those years - I forgot I had it. Now I hate I didn’t listen to it then. But I’m glad I found it. It is truly a gem.

Even if you had never heard his music, McBride’s resume is unreal and I wouldn’t be afraid to say unparalleled by any of his contemporaries. He’s played with WYNTON, STING, GEORGE DUKE, ROY HARGROVE, PAT METHANY, BILLY HICKS, ?UESTLOVE of the hip hop super group THE ROOTS, and BOBBY WATSON. Playing with as many different musicians as possible has made him even more brilliant.

Musically, everything is here - “From bebop to hip hop to funk to fusion”. I’m not that clever I quoted that lyric from SY SMITH. Sonically, its loud where it needs to be and soft where it needs to be.

More than unearthing this from my collection, I wish I had been there to hear it!

No comments: